A brilliant list concept, 1001 Rules for My Unborn Son. Some of my favorites:
232. There is exactly one place where it is acceptable to wear gym clothes.
229. Write letters. On paper.
228. Be careful what you put in writing. You can't take it back.
223. Be a good diver.*
167. Always stop at a lemonade stand. Tip well.
154. Ask your mother to dance.
143. Be able to identify all of the trees on your block.
76. Memorize the Bill of Rights and your favorite poem.
66. Attend lots of weddings. Your friends will be there and the food is always good.
What rules do you have for your sons and daughters, too?
(*This summer, I started swimming again and it changed my whole world view. I even got up the guts to jump off the high(er) dive and it was--in a word--liberating.)