Tuesday, November 18

A Pause for Poetry



There are some times when nothing satisfies more than a love poem. Here are two sides of the coin, the being together and apart, both by Matthew Rohrer, a wonderful young poet living in Brooklyn:


Credo

I believe there is something else

entirely going on but no single
person can ever know it,
so we fall in love.

It could also be true that what we use
everyday to open cans was something
much nobler, that we'll never recognize.

I believe the woman sleeping beside me
doesn't care about what's going on
outside, and her body is warm
with trust
which is a great beginning.



Poem

You called, you're on the train, on Sunday,
I have just taken a shower and await
you. Clouds are slipping in off the ocean,
but the room is gently lit by the green
shirt you gave me. I have been practicing
a new way to say hello and it is fantastic.
You were so sad: goodbye. I was so sad.
All the shops were closed but the sky
was high and blue. I tried to walk it off
but I must have walked in the wrong direction.


I can't help but think the short poem form here is a little bit like a lucid, lyrical polaroid (maybe with a little stitching...!). For more, read on on poets.org.

add to kirtsy

3 comments:

Courtney said...

The being apart I am all too familiar with, and, probably because of that, I fell completely in love with the second poem. Thanks for sharing these.

Anonymous said...

Do you love haunting poetry like I love haunting poetry? Something tells me you do...and these are so quietly impactful.

Two of my faves that I think you'll like if you don't already:


The Shrinking Lonesome Sestina



Rondeau After a Transatlantic Telephone Call


I'm absolutely enamoured of modern poems that use ancient verse forms in new ways...

Maggie said...

I love these. so nice.