The lovely Courtney of Under a Paper Moon has tagged me! Five things you might be surprised to know about little 'ol me:
1) I'm a huge reader. Huge. Okay, maybe you knew this already by way of certain posts (here, here, here).... From poems to art history to garden stories to memoirs to children's lit to novels to philosophy to...you name it, I'll read it up. I'm so excited for the winter break and snuggling up with some new reads--nonfiction, photography, craft, design, poetry, biography, baking.
2) Once upon a time, I was a competitive figure skater. Still, to this day, I don't think anything compares to flying on ice. What I miss most? Doing figures. Now obsolete, skaters used to work through rigorous tests tracing super-precise circles into the ice. I wish skaters today still had the opportunity to do this remarkable meditative practice.
3) I'm known--and consistently teased!--for my extended food cravings. One month I have a weakness for sushi, the next oatmeal, mangoes one month, chocolate cake the next. To say I looooooovvvvvve food might be an understatement.
4) I've lived on both coasts, the no-coast of the Heartland and in the Southwest. I grew up in New England, went to California for college, worked in New Mexico, and later, settled into the Midwest for grad school.
5) One of my very favorite things to do is volunteer at our local museum. It's so fulfilling--not only spending time around great artworks but to feel like you're inviting others to connect. Listening to children tell the stories of different paintings by Warhol and Thiebaud and O'Keeffe...I just adore it.
6) I usually like to have a little secret I keep to myself. Whether it's a little indulgence or a dream or a memory...I always like to keep a little special something in mind to inspire me.
How about each of you? What's your story these days? Any new realizations you've made about you?